Icahpe Hu (Echinacea, purple coneflower) has been one of the most widely used medicinal plants of the Plains Indians in North America. It has many common names and has been used for a variety of ailments, including coughs, colds, inflammation, infections, snakebite, sore throats, toothaches, and as a painkiller. It's most commonly known as a good plant for strengthening the immune system.*
Archaeological digs have found evidence of Ichape Hu use by the Lakota dating back to the 17th century. Other tribes known to have used echinacea include the Choctaw, Pawnee, and Cheyenne.
Among the indigenous tribes, echinacea may have been one of the most widely used medicinal plants of all in that it was used to treat more maladies than any other Pejuta (medicine.)
Icahpe Hu may be effective for:*
- Boosting Immunity: Icahpe Hu may strengthen the immune system, helping to overcome illnesses like colds and flus and also may significantly decrease the chance of getting sick in the first place.
- Sore Throats and toothaches: Echinacea has long been used to treat coughs, sore throats and similar problems. The root was used to treat toothaches and other mouth pain.
- Colds: One of the most common uses of echinacea today is to shorten the duration of colds.
- Infections: Echinacea may reduce incidents of recurring infections. This effect may result from its ability to boost the immune system.
- Pain: Echinacea may be useful as a pain reliever. It was widely traditionally used as an analgesic.
- Mood: Some of the compounds in echinacea may be beneficial for individuals suffering from nervousness or a gloomy outlook.
Our Icahpe Hu herbal supplement is made with both the plant and root to maximize its medicinal benefits. A few drops of tincture can be compared to drinking a cup of medicinal tea!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any disease.
Do not take if pregnant or nursing, and please consult your health care professional to ensure there are no interactions with current medications before beginning any new herbal supplement
Every purchase helps replant indigenous medicines and supports regeneration in our homeland on the Pine Ridge reservation. Wopila (thank you) 🌱